Monday, September 21, 2009

Deadlines are opportunities

I have to admit it... I love a deadline.

In fact, I need one.

It propels me to act.

This Saturday, the president of LaDiff (aka my husband) and I are hosting MY high school reunion at OUR home. 100 people (about 65 classmates plus some brave spouses/dates) will be coming to our house to reminisce, eat, drink, listen to great (yes great) 80's music, and tell stories. I agreed to this 5 years ago (no, I'm not telling you which reunion this is, but the previous music hint may have given it away), so it was not a surprise to my husband when I reminded him back in the spring.

The reunion has given us "a deadline:" a deadline to landscape, to paint, to hang light fixtures, to change some furniture...

Some of it felt like drudgery (I'm not a fan of planting multiple tiny all-green plants into a bed - it's boring, back-breaking, tedious), but the end result, going room to room, outdoor space to outdoor space, to make improvements big or small, has been worth it.

In fact, just yesterday, the husband said "It's been good to have a deadline to force me to get some of this done."

Deadlines are good.
They prompt us to start a project AND finish it.
We take action.
WE MOVE!

We might curse a deadline when it's in front of us, but we are grateful when it's behind us, when we've we met the goal, when we've finished the project.
When we view a deadline as an opportunity to improve, learn, change, it can enrich us.

I like a good deadline. (oh... and the husband, who is also the President of LaDiff, is the most amazing, selfless, helpful person you could meet, since he's been painting, tilling, planting, piling, cleaning... and it's not even HIS reunion... he's a darn good man, that man I married.)

(Is this a good time to remind you that the DEADLINE to save in the Perfect Seat Sale is Sunday, October 4th? Especially for the Comfort Sleeper sale, since this was the FIRST TIME they had a sale, and we have NO IDEA when they'll do it again? It's a GOOD deadline... that gives YOU a real opportunity to save money.)

No comments:

Post a Comment